[Semibug] Zoom or Jitsi Meetings?

Jonathan Drews jdrews at mail.com
Thu May 27 12:08:13 EDT 2021

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 08:34:23AM -0400, Michael W. Lucas wrote:

> If someone wants to coordinate online meetings, I'm down. I lack the
> spoons to take that on.
>
> Meatspace meetings are entirely dependent on the venue. I would not be
> shocked if after this, various spaces stopped hosting guests
> indefinitely. :-(

Hi Folks:

 I spent the early morning hours experimenting with online meeting
software. The one that I can get to work on OpenBSD is Jitsi. Here
is the website:    http://https://meet.jit.si

 To enable my webcam, I followed the instructions for
/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/firefox-esr on my OpenBSD. The
relevant section is:

For WebRTC to work properly, you need to enable audio recording:

# sysctl kern.audio.record=1

You will also need to change the ownership and/or permissions of the
relevant video(4) device so that your user can access the webcam
device e.g.:

# chown youruser /dev/video0

I did not chown video0. Instead I added myself to group wheel (that
is the group for /dev/video0) and did

# chmod g+rw /dev/video0

I added:

kern.audio.record=1
kern.video.record=1

to /etc/sysctl.conf (file is in /etc/examples)

and

record.adc-0:1=240,240
record.adc-0:1_source=mic
record.enable=on

to /etc/mixerctl.conf (file is in /etc/examples)

The good news is that video is working. The bad news is that I can't
seem to get my microphone to work. mixerctl -av lists a huge number
of switches. When I run Jitsi, it flashes a notice that say my
microphone is working. However I can't get any sound. I know my
speajers are working because ican play *mpg audio files with mpg123.

The relevant OpenBSD page on Multimedia is:

https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#enablerec

So I have everything working except the microphone. I will continue
to look into this but I need to get some rest.