[Semibug] Use mount_mfs to speed up programs

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Tue Nov 30 04:00:10 EST 2021

Hi Folks:

 I used Michael's book "Absolute OpenBSD" to setup MFS (Memory File
System). It is also in man 8 mount_mfs. I did:

# mount_mfs -s 2048m /dev/sd0b /mnt

My question is will this speed up C programs that I run there? Will
Ruby run faster in the MFS? Michael says it will speed up compile
times by compiling programs in memory. Will the run times be faster
too or do I need to copy libraries over ? The C programs read very
little data from disk. They are programs that manipulate huge
matrices.

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan