[Semibug] Dump on FreeBSD ZFS file system

Mike Wayne semibug15 at post.wayne47.com
Wed Sep 22 11:13:17 EDT 2021

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 05:22:43PM -0600, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> Hi Gals & Guys:
>
>  I am trying to do a dump (man 8 dump) on GhostBSD, which is FreeBSD
> 13.0. I do as root
>
> # dump -0 -f /media/da0s1/GhostBSD-lvl0.dump /home
>
> but it does not work. Is the ZFS file system not recognized by dump?

Nope. For some (IMO insane) reason, the devs of dump decided not to
support the most proven backup system I've been using for 45 years.

I don't understand the decision but attempting to get it corrected is
hopeless.

Use tar. It's not as flexible but it's your only option.

Note that you can still make UFS filesystems.