[Semibug] ssh to host on local network

Josh Grosse josh at jggimi.net
Thu Apr 28 19:17:51 EDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 04:44:52PM -0600, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
>  I want to allow a friend to SSH into a machine that is on a local
> network. It is an OpenBSD machine. My internal IP addres as given my
> ifconfig is 192.168.11.21:

Your internal IP address is defined by RFC 1918.  192.168.0.0/16 is
among the blocks that are considered "private" and never routed over
the Internet, as the address block is used world wide as a local,
private network.

Your local router uses Network Address Translation (NAT) to provide
a single shared Internet address on the Internet for all of your local
devices.  On the way out, it translates your 192.168 origination addresses
into that shared Internet address, and it keeps traffic tables for returning
traffic which it translates back to each 192.168 device address.

By default, the router can only do that for outbound traffic and its
for which no state exists to the correct device on your local network.
To do this, you provision "Port Forwarding" in that router of yours.

You'll need to open your router's manual to configure this.  You'll point
incoming SSH traffic to your local SSH server.