[Semibug] ssh to host on local network

Josh Grosse josh at jggimi.net
Thu Apr 28 20:27:47 EDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 05:54:07PM -0600, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> I think what I will do is one ofe two things:
>
> 1) Pay extra to my ISP for a static ip address.
> or
> 2) Find a host provider that I can use (like Pair Networks)

Port forwarding has been used for decades with NAT routers.
It doesn't cost you anything other than provisioning time.

   * The TCP protocol used by SSH has 4 numbers that direct traffic:
     the origin and destination IP addresses, and the origin and
     destination port numbers.

   * The default (and standard) destination port number used by
     an SSH server is port 22.  The origin port number from the
     client is normally random and high number.

You would provision port forwarding in the router so that
any TCP packets coming in from the Internet for destination
port 22 are forwarded to your local SSH server at 192.168.11.21.

That's really it.