[Semibug] Presentation on a backup script

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Sun Dec 18 20:47:01 EST 2022

On Tuesday, December 20th, at 1900 Detroit, MI time, South Eastern
Michigan BSD User Group will have a presentation on a basckup
script. This couldn't come at a better time as dump and restore is no
longer maintained on Linux. Only OpenBSD uses dump and restore, as far
as I know.  The jitsi link is:

https://meet.jit.si/SemiBugBackupScript

Our long time member, Nick Holland, will give the talk. Below is an
abstract:

Backups are one of those things that you know you need to do, but
it is wasted effort ... until you need it.  Then you find out that
it didn't actually work because it broke six months ago and you
haven't had reason to look at it.

My Incremental Backup System is an attempt at a backup system that
can actually be useful in day-to-day life in a medium-sized corporate
environment, but also scales down to home use.

Combined with my File Alteration Reporting Tool, an attempt to make
a security tool that doesn't stink.  While intended originally as a
security tool, it turned out to be just plain useful for monitoring
the daily operations.

I.B.S. is a rehash of a talk I did some years ago, but this time, I'm
making code (ksh script) available, not just concepts.  F.A.R.T. is
a new idea which seems so intuitive, I'm sure it's been done before,
but I haven't found it elsewhere (though I haven't looked super-hard).
Both scripts are set up to be simple to modify for your needs, rather
than having to learn Yet Another complicated application that promises
(and fails) to deliver on your needs.

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan