[Semibug] Tuesday Mar 15 Backus-Naur Presentation

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:16:34 EDT 2022

Hi Folks:

 This Tuesday, Mar 15th, at 7:00 PM Detroit, MI time, Ed Howland will
give a presentation on Backus-Naur form. The Jitsi URL is:

https://meet.jit.si/SEMI-BUGBackusNaurForm

Abstract

BNF or Backus Naur Form is a notational format for specifying the
formal syntax of a language. Popular in computer science for defining
programming languages, network protocols and text-based file formats,
it has also seen wide adoption in many other fields. BNF also has its
own syntax rules making it a sort of meta language; a language for
defining other languages.  In this discussion, we will explore the
origin, applications and real-world examples of BNF as used in
Unix. We will meet the many personalities who have influenced and
demonstrated the utility of this format.  Along the way, we will
introduce the underlying concepts of linguistics as applied to
computers and information systems.

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan