[Semibug] Upcoming presentations

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:38:38 EDT 2023

On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 09:39:21PM +0200, Aaron Lopez wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> I am looking forward to the next presentations, both the one on Backups and
> the LPI presentation, this time if I don't make it it definitely won't be
> for the different timezone...
>
> Regarding LPI I recently started studying for "LPIC-1 Exam 101" (as
> requested from the company I work for...) and have been using the following
> free LPI study resource:
> https://learning.lpi.org/en/learning-materials/101-500/ I must say that in
> my opinion it is a really nice manual. Maybe a bit terse for complete
> newcomers compared to other manuals I used when starting off in the Linux
> world (https://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) but also very nicely laid out and
> quite complete. I also feel as if it is teaching me something for the BSD's
> since some system aspects have common roots (I guess) and maybe also
> because I tend to try and compare what is shown in the manual for Linux
> with my FreeBSD system to see if the commands or arguments apply there as
> well. One day I hope to read "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD
> Operating System by Kirk McKusick and George V. Neville-Neil" but now is
> definitely not the right time for me.
>
> Regarding the BSD certification, I had first heard about it on BSD Now. It
> seems very interesting since it deals with the main BSD systems the only
> thing I find strange is that last time I looked I couldn't find any study
> resources of any kind for that specific exam.
>
> Kind regards,
> Aaron

Aaron and others:

Here is Jon "Maddog" Hall's syllabus for the presentation and credentials:

Title: The Linux Professional Institute and you
Abstract:  Founded in 1999, the Linux Professional Institute (lpi.org) is a
non-profit that is dedicated to improving the professional landscape of
Free and Open Source Software.

Starting out as a certification body, it now is a professional membership
association that creates Open professional exams and runs various programs
for the Open Source Community, with over 215,000 certified professionals in
over 180 different countries.

This talk will discuss how certificates are different from a university
training, why LPI is different from other certifications, how the
certifications are developed and why they may be the best path for many
people.

Warmest regards,

Jon "maddog" Hall, Board Chair
Linux Professional Institute

Jon "maddog" Hall is currently the Board Chair of the Linux Professional
Institute (lpi.org), Co-founder and Senior Adviser to Caninos Loucos
(caninosloucos.org), the President of Project Cau?? and the Executive
 Director of Linux International.

During his career in commercial computing which started in 1969 (over a
half-century ago), Mr. Hall has been a programmer, systems designer,
systems administrator, product manager, technical marketing manager,
educator, author, CEO and consultant.

Mr. Hall has worked for such companies as Western Electric Corporation,
Aetna Life and Casualty, Bell Laboratories, Digital Equipment Corporation,
VA Linux Systems, IBM, SGI, Futura Networks (Campus Party) and Linaro as
 well as being a private consultant for other companies.

Mr Hall has worked on many systems, both proprietary and open, having
concentrated on Unix systems since 1980 and Linux systems since 1994
(over a quarter century ago), when he first met Linus Torvalds and
correctly recognized the commercial importance of Linux and Free and
Open Source Software.  Mr.  Hall served, and continues to serve, as
the Executive Director of Linux International.

Mr. Hall has taught full time at Hartford State Technical College (where he
was Department Head of Data Processing from 1977 to 1980) and part-time
at Merrimack College and Daniel +Webster College.  Mr. Hall still likes
talking to students over pizza and beer (the pizza can be optional).

Mr. Hall has consulted with the governments of China, Malaysia, Canada,
Vietnam and Brazil as well as the United Nations and many local and
state governments on the use of Free and Open Source Software, Open
Hardware and Free Culture (Creative Commons).