[Semibug] How to set Wallpaper in OpenBSD?

Josh Grosse josh at jggimi.net
Fri Mar 3 15:35:12 EST 2023

On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 01:21:17PM -0700, Jonathan Drews wrote:
>  Folks:
>
>  I am bale to set a wallpaper background of Puffy with the command
>
> $ xwallpaper --center 6174470.jpg
>
> Do I put that command in my ~/.xsessions file so it will appear after
> I login ? Like so:
>
> ! $OpenBSD: dot.Xdefaults,v 1.3 2014/07/10 10:22:59 jasper Exp $
> XTerm*loginShell:true
> xwallpaper --center 6174470.jpg

I think you're mixing X resource provisioning file contents with
shell script contents.  The line that begins with `XTerm` is an
X resource provisioning instruction, as described in the RESOURCES
section of the X(7) man page. The line that begins with `xwallpaper`
appears to be a shell script command to execute the xwallpaper program.

Resource provisioning instructions are typically stored in `$HOME/.Xdefaults`,
while commands to be run when starting X are typically stored in the shell
script `$HOME/.xsession`.

I've never used xwallpaper, but looking through its man page I see
the --daemon option, which may be helpful.