[Semibug] Java and OpenBSD Stack Guard Pages

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Tue May 16 01:09:21 EDT 2023

I posted this to misc at openbsd.org and got no answers. I am reposting
it here in hopes that someone can give me some guidance.

$ uname -a
OpenBSD Leo.my.domain 7.3 GENERIC.MP#1125 amd64

With libreoffice-java-7.5.1.2v installed and enabled, I get the
following error message when using LibreOffice:

$ libreoffice CarolyAddress.odt

[0.009s][warning][os,thread] Attempt to protect stack guard pages
failed (0x00007848f9a5f000-0x00007848f9a63000).
#
# Native memory allocation (mprotect) failed to protect 16384 bytes
for memory to guard stack pages

This error only happens when loading *.odt or *.ods files. It does not
happen when loading *.odp presentation documents. If I disable the
JRE, by uncehcking the box in Tools->Options->Advanced, then
LibreOffice does not show any errors.

LibreOffice did not show this error on OpenBSD 7.2. I use OpenBSD as a
desktop and probably use LibreOffice several times a week. Any advice
on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

My computer is a Lenovo T440. I ran a hardware diagnostics test on the
laptop and it passed all tests.

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan