[Semibug] OS choice for computer illiterate family members?

Aaron Lopez vieroninfo at gmail.com
Wed May 24 17:01:48 EDT 2023

Hi Jonathan, Mark

The information you provided is very interesting Jonathan.
I wasn't aware of the GhostBSD system even though I think that I would
personally stick with the FreeBSD system that GhostBSD is based on since I
would be worried about having less flexibility. For example I read on their
website that their system is based on FreeBSD 13.0-STABLE branch and they
say you should use their tool called "Software Station" to perform updates.
I'm not saying that is a bad thing but for example I currently use FreeBSD
13.2-RELEASE and if I wanted to I think I could quite easily just change
repository and rebuild all my packages either from STABLE or from another
branch. I can certainly understand installing that system though for
someone who wants thing more ready out of the box.
Going back to the USB mounting, the link to Vermaden's automount software
seems very cool and certainly that is an additional reason to go for a
system like GhostBSD , even though you could just install it directly on
FreeBSD as well (with a touch more extra work and thinking). For Mark I
just wanted to add that, even though I personally use xmonad, I currently
have KDE installed as well for my wife because, a part from offering a more
familiar graphical desktop environment, it does things like auto-mounting
USB pendrives. That said, I'm still kind of "testing" KDE for my personal
use because I've had many strange issues with it on a variety of systems
(both Linux and FreeBSD).

Kind regards,
Aaron