[Semibug] LibreOffice is summing incorrectly

CAREY SCHUG sqrfolkdnc at comcast.net
Wed May 22 17:27:26 EDT 2024

looking at gnumeric...it claims all  numbers are stored in double precision, and yet there can be rounding error.

First, I thought behavior I observed implied if I typed 4.73 into a cell, it was actually stored that way, was not converted to machine format till a calculation was done, is that correct?

Gnumeric's web page said "like other spreadsheets, other formats can be used for storing numbers".  In Libre office, all I can find is other formats for DISPLAYING numbers (I have not installed gnumeric).  An example offered was displaying 1000000 as "1 Million"

First, I have a large multi tabbed spreadsheet with many numbers, that never have more than 5 (actually 4.5, meaning 199.99 to .01) significant digits, so single precision could make the spreadsheet a LOT smaller.

Oops, I have dates and times (of day) in separate cells.  one tab has two sets of 2 columns date and time, and I do calculate the difference between them assuming each column has only a date or only a time.  In two other tabs I calculate the number of days between rows, but the time is just a comment.

If I define a cell as ONLY a date OR a time, will it insist on storing it the internal clock format, which requires double precision?

Or can I define a few columns as double and the rest as single?

Or better yet, store (the non date/time) as 100x integers, meaning .02 would be stored as 2, and 5 would be stored as 500.

slightly different matter:

For displaying, I would like to DISPLAY in non-scientific format, but with a limited number of significant digits, so it would (with 3 significant digits) display numbers like 345, 45.4, 2.18, .456, .0582 (invoking shrink to fit if I can't truncate that to .058), etc, so I can make my columns narrower and save real estate on my screen.

<pre>--Carey</pre>