[nycbug-talk] Firefox release party and NYC tech community

Pete Wright pete
Sun Nov 21 18:29:39 EST 2004

George Georgalis wrote:

>On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 03:14:38PM -0800, Pete Wright wrote:
>

>>George Georgalis wrote:

>>>Why? What do you expect a text browser to do with images? download them?
>>>All that's done is render the ALT tag and maybe use the height and width
>>>for layout. The big plus is ability to render pages like what those soho
>>>firewalls generate...
>>>

>>yea i agree, but the underlying system is going to have to know what to
>>do with those binary files correct?  if you do not have a library to
>>decode binary tiff files on your system, for example, then you will not
>>be able to view them right.  how is w3m able to get around this?
>>

>Maybe you should describe what you are talking about because I have no
>idea.  ...A text browser doesn't do anything with binary files accept
>maybe auto-magically launching an audio player or image viewer (at least
>try). All this is done with the file's magic number (first two bytes)
>and mime magic, eg the file (program) database.
>
>// George

i'm sorry for the confusion all, i've used this version of w3m i suppose:

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~hsaka/w3m/#img

it displays images inline during a w3m session.  for some reason i
assumed that this was built into the default w3m build, i guess not.

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright