[nycbug-talk] script gui

steve Rieger steve
Wed Apr 6 14:56:50 EDT 2005

On Apr 6, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Jay Savage wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2005 3:15 PM, steve Rieger <steve at n2sw.com> wrote:
>> hi all,
>>
>> am working on a personal thing, and i would like to make a sexy gui
>> for
>> a script i have, this script asks the user questions and based on the
>> answers it inserts data into a mysql db.i would like this gui/frontend
>> to be cross platform, which rules out a few langs, can you folks
>> recommend the pros and cons of what my options are,
>> a few that come to mind are ruby, python, java etc....
>>
>> thanx
>>

> I'd say it depends at least in part what language the script is
> already in, and how difficult it would be to rewrite it vs. how much
> of a pain the gui is in whatever language it's already in.
>
> That said, the Python Tk bindings are nice.  My personal favorite for
> any database work remains Perl, and Perl/Tk is very nice and very
> stable.  Your decision will stem partly from the answer to "how sexy
> is sexy?" but overall, it sounds like Qt or GTK are proably overkill
> for what your talking about.
>
> You could also write it as CGI or PHP to make it extrememly
> cross-platform, and use flash, javascript, etc., to make it as
> sexy/annoying as you want.
>
> HTH,
>
> --jay

for now its written in bash and in applescript. this is a desktop addon
to rt, and i got a decent amount of requests to make it avaliable for
the rt community in general, while i do not know python i am willing to
learn.flash is out, and it does not have to be very sexy, but it does
have to be functioonal.

also if i write it in pythin will the end user then need to install
python on their box to run this thingy ?

--
Steve Rieger
(212) 804-1131   (Work)