[nycbug-talk] time you spend in your tasks

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 01:38:48 EDT 2006

On 4/13/06, David Rio Deiros <driodeiros at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the answers.
>
> I agree with Isaac. Same thing happends to me.

Just be glad you do not need to use remidy.

> I may implement something myself. And that leads me to:
>
> As I said I would like to be able to use the tracking system from the shell
> (bash in my case). Bash has a feature (and most other shells) that allows
> you to use the tab key to iterate over a list of "objects" depending the context
> where you are. I don't know if there is any way to tell bash to add more
> lists/objects. Example:
>
> $ track_time project_name task <hit enter>
> /*
>  * The system would launch the proper actions when you hit enter.
>  * here also you could iterate over all the projects and tasks for
>  * every project
>  */
>
> Probably the only way to do it is patching the bash shell itself.
> Which is, IMHO, an interesting project.

> Adding this to bash not only would be useful to interact with the time
> tracking system but with other type of applications. The patch would also
> allow bash to extend the object-iteration list over new applications via
> the .bashrc. Does this maybe already exist?
>
> What do you guys think?

yes it is, but ...  // I read you are suposed to say something nice first

1: I think it would not get into the bash source tree, so you would
own the patch forever. ( I do not know

2: a curses based app would do fine, take a look at cscope for a good
curses.  And it would be avalable for people who do not use bash, hint
;-).  Or you could go all mh on it and do it as a bunch of
executables.

3: bash is kinda big already.  and this is not a shell core function.

4: have you given any thought what, if any, ticketing/project
management ystems this would work with, and how?  or would it be stand
alone?

marc