[nycbug-talk] LinkedIn: Worth it or not?

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Tue Oct 21 14:00:34 EDT 2008

Slightly off topic, but here goes:

I'm on a lot of "Social Networking Sites".  I find that they are more
hassle than they are worth.  First, I find that the only true contacts you
can really make are either people you meet in person or people that refer
you directly -- but most of these sites like "Linked In" are turning into
everyone being friends with everyone and half the people I'm friends with
are recruiters, or people I've never met before.  MOST of the successful
job leads I get are from places like this list, or people contacting me
directly on monster/dice, etc. which I only have active when I'm looking.

So what are your thoughts?  Do you find LinkedIn (and similar sites like
Pulse) to be beneficial to your tech career, or too annoying to manage and
think about?

-Matt