[talk] ZFS FreeBSD future confusion?

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Wed Jun 12 14:33:01 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019, at 2:20 PM, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:

> Aside from trying to keep up with 40-char tweets, has *anyone* in the
> FreeBSD universe written up a clear public statement about the state of
> things- and the future plans?
> (Like a plain language, coherent, paragraph or two.)

Oh- I sortof found the answers I wanted on page 17 in Alan Jude's slide deck:

"Fighting the FUD
●This news resulted in some immediate negative gut reactions
●There is only one OpenZFS, we are all in this together
●FreeBSD will get features sooner, be more involved upstream
●Linux uses the SPL (Solaris Porting Layer) to run ZFS code as close to the illumos upstream as possible
●FreeBSD does similar, so using ZoL code will not inject Linux or GPL code into the FreeBSD kernel
●No Linux-KPI shims are used for ZFS code"

Sounds rational.  I'm still feeling shaky, ZFS on FreeBSD is just *so darned good* right now.

Best,
.ike