[talk] ZFS FreeBSD future confusion?

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 17:22:48 EDT 2019

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:35 PM Isaac (.ike) Levy <
> ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019, at 2:20 PM, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
>>
>> > Aside from trying to keep up with 40-char tweets, has *anyone* in the
>> > FreeBSD universe written up a clear public statement about the state of
>> > things- and the future plans?
>> > (Like a plain language, coherent, paragraph or two.)
>>
>> Oh- I sortof found the answers I wanted on page 17 in Alan Jude's slide
>> deck:
>>
>> "Fighting the FUD
>> ●This news resulted in some immediate negative gut reactions
>> ●There is only one OpenZFS, we are all in this together
>> ●FreeBSD will get features sooner, be more involved upstream
>> ●Linux uses the SPL (Solaris Porting Layer) to run ZFS code as close to
>> the illumos upstream as possible
>> ●FreeBSD does similar, so using ZoL code will not inject Linux or GPL
>> code into the FreeBSD kernel
>> ●No Linux-KPI shims are used for ZFS code"
>>
>> Sounds rational.  I'm still feeling shaky, ZFS on FreeBSD is just *so
>> darned good* right now.
>>

> Basically, ZoL and FreeBSD had Illumos as our upstream. ZoL has added a
> bunch in a way that could be upstreamed, but weren't due to the extreme
> slow pace of Illumos taking changes, as well as viability issues with
> Illumos. FreeBSD is rebasing from Illumos to ZoL because the official
> upstream of OpenZFS is moving from Illumos to ZoL because the efforts of
> adding the missing bits since the fork to ZoL was much smaller than vice
> versa. ZoL is an unfortunate name because it has the trigger word Linux in
> it. The ZoL folks are not the LKM folks, but quite reasonable people
> without the GPL politics getting in the way that caused Linux to be such a
> trigger word.
>
> Warner

Microsoft tried to go after  folks like garmin just for using fat16.

Data on disk is owned by you. The code that happens to read or write the
data to a specific format can be copyrighted by x and licensed with y.

Look at xfs. It is basically universal and the world is better off for it.
Having the format to take the disk to other OS s gives you more options.
You can take that mysql data disk out of your Solaris machine and pop it
into your freebsd machine assuming big e little e is the same. Winning.
Then take it to a linux machine. Winning.

--
Sorry this was sent from mobile. Will do less grammar and spell check than
usual.