[talk] OpenBSD 7.0 on ThinkPad X220

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Fri Dec 17 13:42:02 EST 2021

On Fri 2021.12.17 at 11:28 -0500, Robert Menes wrote:
> Hello NYC*BUG!
>
> I got myself a new laptop recently: a ThinkPad T470s, which is now going to
> be my new main laptop, which means that my X220 will now be an OpenBSD
> laptop!
>
> I've installed a modified BIOS to the X220, which allows me to now switch
> out the WLAN card for a better one with 802.11 ac capacity. I'm looking for
> one that's friendly with OpenBSD and can be set up with a quick fw_update.
>
> The X220 has a 1TB SSD installed, but OpenBSD's auto partitioning
> suggestion doesn't look like it's taking full advantage of the space. I was
> considering a partition scheme like this (sd0 is the SSD):
>
> sd0a: mount as / (30GB)
> sd0b: swap (8GB)
> sd0c: refers to whole disk
> sd0d: mount as /usr (40GB)
> sd0e: mount as /tmp (6GB)
> sd0f: mount as /var (10GB)
> sg0g: mount as /home and use remaining space
>
> I know that the default partition scheme splits /usr down further into
> /usr/local, /usr/X11, etc., but I don't think using one /usr partition
> should hurt things, unless anyone has a good reason as to why it should be
> split.

Only /usr/local should have wxallowed mount option, where the rest the
filesystems should not; dumping /usr/local in /usr means one loses on
base.

> As for the rest of the hardware, has anyone who has used OpenBSD on the
> X200 series have any advice or tips for setup? How is sound and video
> support? Anything I should keep in mind?

x-series in general works out of the box extremely well; could say the
same for most though. that said, someone else's idea of a bios doesn't
mean it's the correct implementation of a bios (i.e. the various
"alternative" bios').