[talk] Reminder, Next NYC*BUG: Tonight!

steve.b at osfda.org steve.b at osfda.org
Thu Oct 6 08:13:01 EDT 2022

Just to add to our discussion last night:

I had praised a temperature gauge on your dash (presuming you are
running a desktop; I myself sometimes use plasma...)

It's sort of like the standard we used to have in cars, where we had an
oil temperature gauge. That was always a good idea to have, and they got
rid of it to provide an illusion of simplicity (and also save money...)

Besides having a temp gauge for your SSD to identify it as redlining and
threatening the disk lifetime, it also is a great way to tell if you
either have a process run amok and/or a RAT in play (but more
sophisticated ransomware keep a low profile with regards to CPU
utilization; just like the shrewder credit card scammers only put
through zillions of small charges, betting that a consumer will not
bother to run them down...)