[talk] APU2/pcengines EOL

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Tue Apr 18 18:42:45 EDT 2023

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 2:36 PM Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 01:30:20PM -0400, George Rosamond wrote:
> > https://www.pcengines.ch/eol.htm
> >
> > "After about 20 years of WRAP, ALIX and APU, it is time for me to move
> > on to different things."
> >
> > Sad to see.... there was rumors about a Ryzen-based box in the pipeline,
> > but I guess not.
> >
> > If you asked me five (ten?) years ago, I'd have thought we'd be all
> > aarch64 by now.
> >
> me too - i am dissapointed with how vendors took an "open" platform in
> arm and wrapped it in so much propritary/non-portable code.  considering
> how complex these SoC's are i guess i shouldn't be too surprised...
>
> -p
>

> --
> Pete Wright
> pete at nomadlogic.org

All
 I was reading about the demise of pcengines today, I recently had my last
APU2 go sideways . I still have a alix that works.
Moving on, some of my co-workers were building VMWare home labs last
month.  One of them posted this post on STH
https://www.servethehome.com/hp-elitedesk-mini-2-5gbe-flex-io-v2-nic-intel-i225-m74416-001/
on how some of the HP ,and presumably Lenovo and Dells, can get a second
nic in the Small Form Factor boxes.  For me this is what I am going to try
next.

HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Desktop Mini i5-6500T 8Gb   $75 USD
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115757176383
M.2 A E Key To RJ45 Network Card Intel i211 $36 USD .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/194915522383

This will be a quite powerful small Intel box with two intel nics that can
run off DC or AC .

This is going to require me to remove the optional 2nd Display port / HDMI
/ Serial port and maybe dremel that slot a bit to fit the RJ45 .

Now there are some gotchas here. Some of the AMD Ryzen versions of the SSF
boxes have Realtek nics, some have Intel 2.5GB nics too. You have to do
some research.
Some have magic parts you can only find 2nd hand that give you a proper 2nd
nic.  From what I read on STH HP and Dell have a bunch of weird parts for
this line that are only available at purchase time, and you cant buy them
direct after the fact. This includes 2 port 2.5gb intel nics .

mark saad | nonesuch at longcount.org