[talk] OpenBSD disk cloning

Robert Menes viewtiful.icchan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 17:14:39 EDT 2023

This might be a doable solution, but I do have another question to go along
with this, because I don't want to play guesswork with what's currently
installed on my system and what I have to reinstall on the new drive.

Do OpenBSD's pkg utilities (pkg_add, pkg_info, etc.) have an option to
output to a file a list of all installed packages? IIRC dpkg on Debian, or
its apt tools, have an option you can pass into them to dump out a whole
list of installed packages to a text file, which can be read back in on a
new system to install all the same packages back in again. Everything else
like custom configuration and such can easily be put onto a USB stick and
migrated over, or I can put them into a private GitHub repo, clone it into
the new machine, and put everything into place.