[talk] MWL on "Run your own mail server"

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Mar 17 14:34:54 EDT 2023

Worth checking out... if you're not reading the blog regularly:

https://mwl.io/archives/22653

I just browsed through it quickly and will read carefully later.. but it
really makes me laugh in the privacy/security work land how very
well-funded companies can ramble in their marketing materials about
"security,privacy by design" yet they host their email with one of the
little closed circle of providers. I dont' have to name the providers,
but they happen to be where we get the most unsoliticited commercial
email.* Your most confidential information flows around in those emails..

And it's those providers that the 'little people' have to contend with
when sending mail to their hosts.

Additionally, if you're all cloud/3rd party hosted, you have an EASIER
time going through any vendor requirements than if you do it yourself...
despite the obvious privacy issues.

*

$ host -t mx $domain
$domain mail is handled by 0 $domain.mail.protection.outlook.com.

"George,

A bottle of Silver Oak for 10 minutes to ask you a few questions"

***

$ host -t mx $anotherdomain
$anotherdoimain mail is handled by 10 alt3.aspmx.l.google.com.
$anotherdomain mail is handled by 1 aspmx.l.google.com.

"​​​Dear George, I hope you had a chance to read my previous messages."