[talk] APU2 post-mortem options

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri May 12 14:09:45 EDT 2023

There's been some chatter on IRC and other places about ideal hardware
options after APU2/PCEngines go away.

amd64 remains the best-supported architecture, and aarch64 or RISC-V
especially are not there yet. Oh, the dreams we all had years ago about
aarch64...

On that note, what similiar small fanless hardware are others looking at?

There's the Qotom stuff, which I think ProtectCLI uses. And there's a
variety of very small desktops (ThinkCentre M600, eg) that are nice and
cheap, but one NIC and have useless things like HDMI, bluetooth and wifi
which aren't ideal for servers. Plus idk about db9/serial...

>1u in height is very common with those little desktops.

So I guess I have two questions:

Is it still amd64 or bust for the best stability and support?

And then, what comes after APU2 for the many who use it?