[talk] APU2 post-mortem options

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Fri May 12 17:33:31 EDT 2023

Last I checked, Protectli was just rebranded Yanbling/Minisys hardware.  You can find them on AliExpress.
Qotom is a different Chinese ODM who you can also find on AliExpress.

Patrick at STH has been doing a good job detailing what’s available.   I’d check STH if you’re looking for an inexpensive platform from China.

If you’re looking just a bit into the future, there is a new Atom coming:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/229206/intel-atom-processor-c1110-6m-cache-2-10-ghz/specifications.html

While I can’t say much about it, Silicom has leaked that this is based on Gracemont cores (this is the ‘little’ core in Alder Lake).
https://www.silicom-usa.com/pr/4g-5g-products/4g-5g-appliances/valencia-network-appliance-series/

This is not your father’s Atom.  It’s not what you’re used to for performance from an Atom.  Four cores of Gracemont deliver 80% more performance than two Skylake cores.

https://chipsandcheese.com/2021/12/21/gracemont-revenge-of-the-atom-cores/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16881/a-deep-dive-into-intels-alder-lake-microarchitectures/4
[…]

Four cores of Gracemont and four i226 2.5gbps Ethernet devices will run fanless at over 40C ambient.

In addition to a much more performant front-end and scheduler, the C1110 also supports AVX/AVX2 and even VAES/VPCMULQDQ if you encode the instructions using VEX.  This makes AES-GCM, AES-CBC/SHA-256 and ChaCha20/Poly1305 go real fast.

As an example: Using VPP Intel will show it doing IPsec (AES-128-GCM) at … well 14.99gbps on a single core.  But you don’t care about VPP, you want to hear about FreeBSD performance, right?

I’m not going to quote benchmarking on the C1110 (yet), but as an illustration of why you might want to consider having AVX/AVX2 in your next platform:

On a Ryzen 5 5600, using 4 FreeBSD VMs, each with 4 guest-CPUs, 4GB RAM, 2 SR-IOV passthrough ConnectX virtual function NICs
connected via a Mellanox ConnectX-5EN 25Gbps PCIe-3 which features an embedded switch capable of delivering 50Gbps traffic between the virtual functions and a single TCP stream via iperf:

OCF below is what you can get with FreeBSD
IIMB is the BSD-licensed Intel IPsec-MB library, ported to the OCF framework.

IPsec-ESP (AES-128-GCM)
- OCF: sync: 4.88Gbps async: 4.46Gbps
- IIMB: sync: 5.48Gbps async: 7.68Gbps

IPsec-ESP (AES-256-CBC,HMAC-SHA256)
- OCF async: 4.2Gbps
- IIMB async: 5.3Gbps

ChaCha20/Poly1305 also gets a big lift from AVX/AVX2.
WireGuard
- OCF: 4.4Gbps
- IIMB: 6.0Gbps

Notes:
- WireGuard consumes all CPUs with low idle time (<15%), whereas IPsec and OpenVPN uses 3 CPUs for network and encryption workloads
(20% idle) and are otherwise 60% idle during this test.

- Linux native WireGuard attained 7.5Gbps on the same virtual setup

As a bit more illustration of what is possible with some software work:

OpenVPN DCO (AES-256-GCM):
- OCF: sync: 4.1Gbps async: 6.0Gbps
- IIMB: sync: 4.9Gbps async: 10Gbps (*)

OpenVPN DCO (ChaCha20-Poly1305):
- IIMB: sync: 2.9Gbps async: 5.1Gbps

(*) peak throughput for OpenVPN DCO was observed to be 12Gbps

This is a big reason we did the work to bring IPsec-MB to pfSense Plus. https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/14291
There was a talk at AsiaBSDCon about this, by Leon Dang, presented by Kristof Provost
https://2023.asiabsdcon.org/program.html.en

Some of the results above are from that paper.

I’m not saying you want an Alder Lake for your server, you don’t, in part because the FreeBSD scheduler doesn’t do well on a big/little architecture, and there isn’t anyone in the project to work on that.  But if you cut the big (Arizona Beach) *or* little cores (Sapphire Rapids) off, then FreeBSD can run very well on the result.

Responding to Charles Sprickman:
> I recall in IRC there was some talk that ARM, while in theory is "open", is
> chock-full of proprietary stuff when you get down to trying to buy anything
> that looks like a commodity mini-PC, right?

They’re not PCs, if that’s what you mean, but it’s straight-forward to get FreeBSD running on them.  Then the work of writing drivers for that vendor’s devices begins.  They tend to ship drivers for linux, but not for anything else.

Jim