[talk] Request for assistance

assaf rutenberg assaf at eml.cc
Wed May 24 14:41:08 EDT 2023

Hey all,
In a moment of recent recklessness and euphoria I bought an ixsystems truenas  mini +. It has an 8 core cpu, 32gb of ram, and dual 10gb enet ports. To that I added (5) 12TB ironwolf drives I pulled from my openmediavault external enclosure and (2) 1tb ssd's to use as read and write cache drives. The supplied os is truenas core.
To put it mildly, I am in over my head as far as basic setup and would like to pay one of you fine and talented folks to help me set it up. I just need to add a user and configure the shares but I am oddly confounded by what should be a simple process.
All of this is compounded by the startling fact that despite the relative expense of the unit, ixsystems does not offer and support to home users.
So, if anyone has 30 minutes or so to assist me in the basic setup of this unit, I would be very grateful.
Thank you, and I look forward to seeing you at the June meet-up.

Sheepishly yours,

Assaf Rutenberg