[talk] iXsystems dropping FreeBSD

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Mar 20 17:35:33 EDT 2024

On 3/20/24 17:25, Charles Sprickman wrote:

>> On Mar 20, 2024, at 3:32 PM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>>
>> I haven't touched any of their stuff in years, but I know they started
>> building TrueOS on Linux "in parallel" a few years ago.. which sounded
>> like a warning shot.
>>
>> https://www.theregister.com/2024/03/18/truenas_abandons_freebsd/
>
> "Debian-based TrueNAS SCALE, aimed at providing storage for Kubernetes users"
>
> my eye is still twitching

Oh, I forgot that. It's remarkable if someone finally found something to
use Kubernetes for.

+1 to MWL's point.. but isn't that what the Xigmana ppl are doing?

I think I need to ping some people offline then.

My issue with FreeNAS etc was that it evolved outside the basic utility
a long time ago. Basic storage (remote and local) is still massively in
demand. Provide NFS, SMB, do it over WireGuard, whatever.

There is NextCloud but there should be simpler alternatives..