[Tor-BSD] New: DNS hijacking Old: Re: NYCBUG1 earns a T-shirt!

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Dec 12 10:52:06 EST 2013

Kyle Isom:
> On 12/12/13 01:15, nanotek wrote:
>> I'm hesitant to upgrade now, though, as the relay is up and running
>> without a problem.
>>
> This is a case where you *really* do want to upgrade. There were several
> major things fixed in the latest version; the latest version that was
> released last night is largely the same as devel version in the repo.

He is actually running the latest Tor in FreeBSD ports... just not
tor-devel.

But the Tor tarballs are now at 0.2.4.19 for stable and 0.2.5.1 for
alpha/devel.

Both ports should be updated soon... but OTOH, I do recommend running
tor-devel out of FreeBSD ports.  It's in alpha/devel that the itches
seem to be scratched first, and for years, I've never had an issue
running that branch.

But quick primer on installing a newer Tor before the FreeBSD ports are
updated.

1.  Download the "Source Tarball" from the extended downloads list from
the Tor www site and dump into /usr/ports/distfiles

2.  Edit the appropriate Makefile for the new version on the
DISTVERSION= line.

3.  from the port directory, run: make makesum

4.  Deinstall and reinstall with new version.  Seems that when you
uninstall it now, the daemon actually stops and needs to be manually
restarted after it's been reinstalled.