[Tor-BSD] This list...

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Jun 14 09:21:04 EDT 2013

Linus Nordberg:
> George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote
> Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:07:17 -0400:
>
> | On the OS level, I would argue strongly for using RAM-based mounts (md,
> | tmpfs) for partitions such as /var/log, tmp, and so on, along with
> | AvoidDiskWrites in the torrc.
>
> I'd be surprised if disk i/o showed to be a bottleneck for a Tor
> relay. At least as long as you keep the log level at 'notice'.

The motivation is not i/o at all.

Since I was hacking on Soekris, then Alix boards, and now ARM stuff,
RAM-based partitions became logical to minimize disk wear and tear with
various flash media used.

But then I started to do the same on full server hardware, without
necessarily having a performance reason.

My thinking is the less writes to a hard disk on a Tor relay, the
better.  No, it's not a safeguard that protects against X or Y attack,
but rather the less traces, the better.