[Tor-BSD] This list...

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Jun 14 09:40:06 EDT 2013

Linus Nordberg:
> George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote
> Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:21:04 -0400:
>
> | My thinking is the less writes to a hard disk on a Tor relay, the
> | better.  No, it's not a safeguard that protects against X or Y attack,
> | but rather the less traces, the better.
>
> Tor must not write any information to (files that _may_ end up on) disk
> that can be in any way discriminating. That would be a severe bug.

Yes, agree.  That would be pretty disturbing if it did.  But I'm not
saying it does.

But using RAM-based partitions for things like /var/log and /tmp became
a routine for me as I mentioned due to using embedded systems.

I don't think there's a tangible immediate benefit, as I said, but I
also think the less written to disk for an anonymity system, the better.

Unless, of course, you need to troubleshoot anything, in which case
losing your logs with a reboot would be a bit of a hassle :)