[Tor-BSD] equivalent of TBB for *BSD?

Heptas Torres heptator at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 16:24:13 EDT 2013

On 9/23/13, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
> Linus Nordberg:
>> George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote
>> Sun, 22 Sep 2013 07:38:10 -0400:

>> | Well, tor and tor-devel are both clients and servers.   They can be
>> used
>> | with the browser (any, but preferably Firefox) or any other
>> | socks-compatible TCP application.  This issue came up a while back so
>> | check the archives.
>>
>> The browser that comes with the Tor Browser Bundle (TBB) is a Firefox
>> with changes that makes it less insecure to use from a privacy
>> perspective. See https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design
>> for information on what TBB does.
>>

> Yup.  There is not only a long list of about:config edits that are done,
> but also other patches.
>

>> | It would be a nice goal to have a TBB that *just works* with the BSDs
>> | and is in ports/pkgs.
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> Well, that should be an achievable goal by people on this list.. .

Even so, I am wondering whether *BSDs would be a good choice as a Tor
client, primarily on a desktop environment and for browsing. The
current infrastructure of *BSDs with unsigned packages makes it risky
to verify the source (unless one compiles the packages from source -
out of question for less skilled people). No critique here - I like
*BSDs, but the lack of a TBB and unsigned packages make them not so
appealing for privacy-related stuff.
Btw, do people on this list use BSDs primarily for privacy-related
stuff (FDE, Tor browsing, encryption)? Any special settings or
recommendation for configuration?
thanks
-heptas