[Tor-BSD] OpenBSD pf rules...

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Dec 2 15:21:21 EST 2014

Seth:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:23:38 -0800, Libertas <libertas at mykolab.com> wrote:
>
>> Could that kind of filtering cause a noticeable increase in latency?
>
> My off the cuff response would be "I doubt it", but for an authoritative
> answer you'd probably want to ask that question someplace like the
> OpenBSD pf mailing list
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pf%40benzedrine.cx/

A little unclear about the context about "increased latency" from OP, but...

I had a discussion with GNN last night about testing Tor throughput and
the difficulties, and he mentioned that pf had a heavy affect on FreeBSD
performance.

I posited that it had less of an affect on OpenBSD, since I was around
the discussion at vBSDCon last year when Henning laughed about the pf
code still being used on FreeBSD.  But that was before a bunch of
enhancements came from the FreeBSD version/fork.

It actually might sense to try out ipfw for the purposes of a Tor relay.
 AFAIK, it's much less taxing on the throughput.