[Tor-BSD] OpenBSD pf rules...

Libertas libertas at mykolab.com
Fri Dec 12 16:52:06 EST 2014

On 12/12/2014 03:19 PM, Seth wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 08:36:27 -0800, Libertas <libertas at mykolab.com> wrote:
>> That's the thing - it seems that there isn't a single high-bandwidth
>> OpenBSD Tor relay:
>
> By 'high-bandwidth' do you mean a server that has the 'fast' flag?
>
> If so, I run an OpenBSD exit node with the fast flag
> http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=e1e1059d8c41fc48b823c6f09348ea89c4d4c9d4
>
> It recently started kernel panicking as bandwidth usage climbed towards
> 9GB/day. I had upped the ulimit from 1024 to 8192 but I don't think the
> small VPS could handle that. Right now ulimit is running
> at 4096 and so far no kernel panics

Do you know what caused the kernel panic?

I'm pretty sure that the Fast flag is granted based on advertised
bandwidth, not consensus bandwidth:

This is most apparent in the fact that a new relay will often get the
Fast flag hours after being started, while its consensus bandwidth is
still 20 KB/s.

Anecdotally, my OpenBSD exit node has the fast flag too:

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/CDAB3AE06A8C9C6BF817B3B0F1877A4B91465699