[Tor-BSD] Tor/BSD buildbot call for builders

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Feb 27 17:44:32 EST 2015

Seth:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 17:35:28 -0800, George Rosamond
> <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>> This is great stuff Christian.
>>
>> I'll try to spend some time on this with the relays I touch.  Would a
>> crappy old 32bit Alix bridge make sense?
>>
>> At some point of future stability, I'll add some of the ARM hardware I'm
>> hacking on.
>
> If you get tor to build on an Alix I would be interested in knowing how
> you pull it off. I'm currently running using flashrd to run OpenBSD on
> customer Alix hardware and building tor is out of the question with the
> 128M RAM units. Maybe it would work with the later 256M RAM models but
> they're still fairly memory and disk space constrained.

256M is operational.. not pretty, but it works.  In the recent past, not
a lot of traffic, but used to get 8 or some circuits in a day served.

> For now my work around is to download and build tor in a chroot, then
> create the flashrd CF image based on that modified chroot system, with
> latest versions of tor and libressl baked in.

There's a bunch of different ways.  Tim Kietzle's crochet hasn't worked
with x86 images for me yet, but there's this method I started using
maybe 10 years ago with chroot, etc.  of course, use the binary pkg
system, tmpfs/md/whatever to lessen writes to the flash media.

There's a lot to do.. with FreeBSD, I do heavy /etc/src.conf tweaking to
cut down the size of the base.. no bluetooth, floppy, ipv6, ipf/w, etc.