[Tor-BSD] FreeBSD tor-devel config options

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Jan 9 18:52:09 EST 2015

On 01/09/15 15:18, teor wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2015, at 06:27 , Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>
>> Hey All,
>> I was doing some testing with my FreeBSD tor systems while poking around
>> for potential optimizations.  I have found that setting the following
>> compilation flags for the tor-devel FreeBSD port have lowered CPU load
>> on my systems, and from the looks of things this may have lead to an
>> increase of utilization of my circuit.
>>

> I'll describe the impact of these flags:

thanks for the info!

<snip>

> Is malloc performance on *BSD worse than on Linux?
> (For tor's usage pattern, which allocates lots of buffers temporarily.)

should be able to be tested pretty easily since there is a build option
to use tcmalloc() which should give us some data to compare against.
i'll spin up a tcmalloc() enabled build when i get a chance and give it
a spin.

in my personal experience i find that jemalloc() tends to outperform the
standard linux malloc() in many workloads.  although i reckon tor has a
pretty unique profile.

cheers,
-pete

--