[Tor-BSD] high-bandwidth relays

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 03:55:27 EDT 2015

> On 1 Jul 2015, at 05:39 , Christian Sturm <reezer at reezer.org> wrote:
>
> On 06/30/2015 03:24 PM, teor wrote:
> >
> >> On 30 Jun 2015, at 03:33 , Christian Sturm <reezer at reezer.org>
> >> wrote:

> >> I'd do that incrementally. Just set up your Tor relay and wait
> >> for one CPU to be exhausted.
>
> >> You will then see how much throughput a single instance can
> >> handle.
> >
> > I'm working on a way of load testing a tor relay's CPU, by running
> > a local Tor test network. Because all the network communication is
> > on localhost, this helps you work out the maximum CPU-bound
> > throughput of your relay. There's a draft implementation, but it's
> > not quite ready for release yet. So waiting a few months for the
> > network ramp-up is your best option.
> >
> > It should be ready some time in the next few months, watch this
> > Trac ticket for details:
> > https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/14175
>
> That's really cool! Will try it out in future. Thanks! :)

I finished up these changes because another developer wanted them for performance-testing multithreading.

They've been tested on Linux and OS X, but I don't have a BSD box handy.
(And it's possible I've made some assumptions that don't work on BSD.)

So if you want to be the first, and:
* checkout custom branches for both chutney and tor,
* build your own tor,
* setup CHUTNEY_PATH to point to your chutney directory, and
* work your way through chutney/README or tor/src/test/test-network.sh to understand how it all works…

Then the details of the git branches and configuration options are here:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/14175#comment:8

Get it working, and you'll get an estimate of your maximum all-CPUs-bound bandwidth, somewhat ignoring threading (as it uses multiple tor instances). It's all done on a test network on localhost, so it ignores your upstream bandwidth entirely.

Or, if you don't want to test unreleased changes, (which is fair enough) wait a few months with a single tor instance on the public network, and you'll have an exact figure.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp ABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7