[Tor-BSD] OpenBSD Bandwidth Issues

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 11:15:57 EDT 2015

> On 29 Apr 2015, at 08:35 , Richard Johnson <rdump at river.com> wrote:
>
> On 2015-04-07 15:43, Seth wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 11:17:54 -0800, Libertas <libertas at mykolab.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It turns out my new exit node is an even better example than it was when
>>> I posted it two days ago. Compare its measured and consensus bandwidths
>>> with its actual bandwidth:
>>>
>>> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/CDAB3AE06A8C9C6BF817B3B0F1877A4B91465699
>>>
>>> It's running on a pretty fast 100 Mbps uplink on a dedicated server with
>>> hardware that should be serious overkill.
>>
>> ...so three months later and my OpenBSD Tor exit node Advertised Bandwidth
>> seems to have plateaued at approx 2.27 MB/s:
>> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/E1E1059D8C41FC48B823C6F09348EA89C4D4C9D4
>>
>> Curious what other people are seeing for speeds on their *BSD nodes.
>>
>> According to VULTR Server Monitors, resource usage over 1 month period is
>> nowhere near the limit.
>

> I currently use a non-AES-NI 2-CPU 12-total-cores system running OpenBSD 5.6-stable.  For 6 relays on the box (3 IP addresses) I see combined throughput averaging 3.7 to 4.5 MB/s over multiple days according to arm.
>
> The fastest of the family:
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/41FFC361F0D51F3752E9481B075D5508D21C8D12
> This particular relay topped out on file descriptors (limit was 8192), so now the limit has been increased.
>
> The second fastest of the family:
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/1CC39E06101B0DBFA103A18A2032C4A0FE0503C8
>

> Richard
>
> (GEOa is running on Mac OS X, and is anemic for reasons I don't yet understand)

I found that my throughput increased dramatically on OS X when I:
* increased kern.maxfiles to 30K in sysctl
* increased kern.maxfilesperproc to 10K in sysctl
* increased kern.ipc.somaxconn to 4K in sysctl
* set HardResourceLimits / NumberOfFiles to 10K in launchd (I think launchd adjusts sysctl here as well)
* compiled an optimised version of the latest OpenSSL with aes-ni support and linked tor against it