[Tor-BSD] Call for BSD Tor Packagers

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 23:42:18 EDT 2016

> On 18 Oct. 2016, at 13:15, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/17/16 21:08, teor wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When we do a Tor release, we announce the release to the packagers listed in:
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/doc/HACKING/ReleasingTor.md#n144
>>
>> For security fixes, we provide notice of the release beforehand, including
>> the severity, affected Tor versions and configurations, and likely release
>> timeframe. This gives packagers advance notice to schedule releases.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, there aren't any BSD packagers on the list.
>>
>> Who are the tor packagers for the major BSD distributions?
>
> There aren't necessarily "packagers" so much as there are port
> maintainers, from which binary packages are generated.
>
> Some of the BSD Tor port maintainers are on this list, but you can see
> it from any of the port systems' Makefiles.
>
> I can ping you offlist if you're interested... although I know that
> FreeBSD is usually up-to-date with both security/tor and
> security/tor-dev (alpha).

We're happy to email people in advance if it would help.

> OpenBSD is always quick for updates, albeit only providing the current
> stable version of Tor for -current. Unfortunately, OpenBSD -stable is
> only released every six months, and includes the stable version of Tor
> on those dates only. OpenBSD does not include tor-devel/alpha in its
> ports tree.
>
> Wait, let me clarify:
>
> OpenBSD -stable: released every six months, includes stable Tor version
> at release time
>
> OpenBSD -current: updated regularly, includes the most recent stable Tor
> version

It seems that Tor is being updated regularly in at least FreeBSD and
OpenBSD, so maybe we don't need to change anything at this time.

> If the port maintainers aren't aware of the patches, it might be worth
> pinging the appropriate ports@ lists.

We announce by email and on the Tor blog. It seems to be working at the
moment.

Is there anyone who would benefit from getting advance notice?

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org