[Tor-BSD] OpenBSD tor -stable/-alpha split port

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Sun Nov 12 16:00:00 EST 2017

Alexander Nasonov:
> teor wrote:
>>
>>> On 13 Nov 2017, at 06:19, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> I can imagine it being useful for testing: if you have 4 relays on a box, run
>> the late alphas or new stable on one, and then switch them all over when
>> you're happy.
>
> That's one use-case.
>
> Another use-case if you run both relays and a client on a box and
> you want to try a new client.  I've already switched to this setup
> because I wanted to get rid of privoxy dependency for a long time.
> It works great so far.

I can see the multiple scenarios, but I'd make one quick comment about
the pkgsrc Tor Browser. Last I looked, it wasn't TB, but rather a
different thing completely.  Firefox ESR is completely customized for
Tor, as are the add-on requirements. If someone from pkgsrc wants to do
a TB port, I would strongly suggest they fork our code.

Running anything but a TB port for a graphical http client is dangerous,
IMHO.