[Tor-BSD] simple bandwidth scanner: sbws

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Oct 19 16:38:00 EDT 2018

juga of the Tor Project is writing the new bandwidth scanner for Tor,
simple bandwidth scanner, sbws. The current one is difficult, and
neither Attila nor I could get it working on OpenBSD.

The current version is based on a bunch of install steps, but not
integrated with any OS's ports systems.

juga's is much simpler, and is written in python3. Some of the tests
require bash, but we made note of that in a ticket. One of us will work
on that at some point.

It's only on version 0.8.0, and it won't be ready for production until
it hits 1.

Vincius already got it into FreeBSD ports
(https://www.freshports.org/net/py-sbws/) which is awesome... over the
summer I created a functioning OpenBSD Makefile with juga, and have it
updated to 0.8.0 now.  It requires py-stem 1.7.0 which is in FreeBSD
ports, but OpenBSD still is at 1.6.0. There are a few other basic py-
DEPS. I just noticed he has some DEPENDS that aren't in mine, which I'm
curious about. . .

Anyways, running bandwidth scanners is an assigned function within the
Tor community, we don't need noise like that impacting the directory
authorities. But regardless, it's useful for testing with things like
chutney, which should also be ported to the BSDs at some point
(https://gitweb.torproject.org/chutney.git/)

If anyone does NetBSD porting, take a look at the Freshports url for his
port as a guide. Mine isn't public, but I can provide if anyone's
interested.

Achieving network diversity isn't just about relays as important as that
is. Getting a diverse Tor directory infrastructure is also vital, and at
this point is mostly Linux, outside of one directory authority and the
bridge directory authority AFAIK.