[Tor-BSD] Tor 'run a bridge' campaign

Corl3ss corl3ss at corl3ss.com
Mon Nov 29 18:25:58 EST 2021

Hi Shawn, hi all,

On 11/29/21 15:21, Shawn Webb wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 09:08:20AM -0500, George Rosamond wrote:
>> https://blog.torproject.org/run-a-bridge-campaign/
>>

> I have an interesting scenario:
>
> I'd love to run a bridge on my home residential connection, but I have
> a dynamic IPv4 address, which is discouraged for running Tor bridges.
>
> However, I use Hurricane Electric's TunnelBroker service to gain a
> static IPv6 allocation. I've set up TunnelBroker's dyndns service so
> if my IPv4 address ever changes, the TunnelBroker side of things is
> updated within a few seconds at most.
>
> So, this brings the question: in this environment, would it be okay to
> run an IPv6-only bridge

Any relay must have an IPv4 address. IPv6 is optional, but not the
opposite. So running an IPv6-only relay-or-bridge won't work I think.

> , where there is potential for multi-second
> hiccups (I've never had my IPv4 address change, though, so the risk of
> hiccup is low, but still present)?

All this is a question of time to propagate the IPv4 in the Tor network.
As it take hours, having a IPv4 that changes often is a real problem. If
it can theoretically change but in fact it does not... I think it is fine !

> What are all your thoughts?

So fine if you are ok to publish both IP(v4 and v6) as a bridge.

Corl3ss