[NYCBSDCon] One idea

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Wed Sep 11 13:42:40 EDT 2013

On 9/11/2013 1:14 PM, George Rosamond wrote:

> This should be the forum for tossing around ideas.. too much is
> happening offlist and informally, and will be forgotten and lost.
>
> So based on some input from Patrick, wouldn't it be useful to have a
> period (lunch?) when there are stations setup around the meeting space.
>
> A dev/user has a fat sign over there head with a particular topic.
>
> I imagine...
>
> "Hi, I'm Joe Blow.  This is the ARM FreeBSD table.  This is how you use
> crochet and edit the configs.  If you have a mSD or SD card, I can dd an
> image for you.  Here is a BBone to test if you want to take a look
> around.  I'm not a dev.  I can barely tie my own shoes.  But I got it
> working"
>
> "Hi, I'm Jill Blow.  I'm a bad-ass OBSD dev focused on octeon.  Do you
> want to do something useful with your octeon hardware at home?  This is
> what I'm working on.  We can talk more on this list/irc/whatever.  Oh,
> you have a few pallets of octeon hardware to donate?  great."

Thank you for making me a woman :D

> "Hi, I'm no one in particular.  Do you have *any* hardware to donate or
> which you can get fat discounts on?  Please sign here."
>
> We put out a call for volunteers for it, have some prearranged, and go
> from there.  Sort of like some middle school science expose.
>
> It would open things up a bit.  We could also do them as lightning
> sessions, and force group by group to do the circuit.

I would still like having people walk away with ready to go images with
tons of services and dev tools. I know that we can't guarantee they'll
be used but we never know who the next big user/promoter/dev is. We
could even get a bunch of cards for people who don't bring their own and
sell them basically at card cost (plus maybe $1) and add whatever money
we make on it back into the profits.

~Brian