[NYCBSDCon] Hard Media Idea

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Wed Sep 11 14:23:51 EDT 2013

On September 11, 2013 01:42:40 PM EDT, Brian Callahan
<bcallah at devio.us> wrote:

> I would still like having people walk away with ready to go images
> with tons of services and dev tools. I know that we can't guarantee
> they'll be used but we never know who the next big user/promoter/dev
> is.

Heck yeah.  Tangible, living, schwag.

I even think optical media is appropriate, if we can get people to
donate it?  (e.g. OpenBSD is still hard media, FreeBSD Mall does disks,
[not sure what Net is doing these days, dragonfly is likely a noop for
media.)  PfSense?

Along with the oldschool instant gratification, I think hard media has
an even greater resonance, with all this year's net/crypto hyjinks.

> We could even get a bunch of cards for people who don't bring their own
> and sell them basically at card cost (plus maybe $1) and add whatever
> money we make on it back into the profits.

Yes. I think this is awesome.  Micro-SD is perfect, the ones with SD
adapter sleves are common...  4Gb or whatever is common/'small' should
do, no?

Rocket-
.ike