[NYCBSDCon] NYC*BUG DayCon Winter 2014 - 1st Meeting Summary

Bill Totman billtotman at billtotman.com
Mon Sep 16 08:41:13 EDT 2013

All,

My apologies for the delay in getting this summary out, but here we go…

We had a good 1st meeting last Monday. Here is the outline of what we know
so far:

Winter 2014 NYC*BUG DayCon
     When:
          Saturday, February 1st, 2014
               (Super Bowl Weekend)
          9:00 am to 5:00 pm
               8:30 Doors Open
               4:00 'Happy Hour'
               5:00 Close
     Where:
          Suspenders
          111 Broadway, NY, NY, 10006
     Cost:
          Cash
          $50.00 @ the door & NYC*BUG meetings or other arranged times
(flexible)
          (higher online)
               (If significantly higher, how might 'ticket' guarantees be
made?)
     What:
          TBD
     Who:
          TBD

TODO:
What - Central Theme
     * - Decidedly from the perspective of the BSDs in production
environments:
          - Pragmatism
          - Externally focused
     The Challenge:
          - finding where our possible topics meet (VIN diagram style) the
speakers we know
     Some of the themes/stacks of the Con:
          - Cloud Providers
               - *BSD offerings
          - Virtualization
               - From Bhyve to VirtualBox
          - It works on *BSD (So, shut up about Linux, etc.)
          - *BSD Use Cases:
               - startups
               - established organizations
               - being forced into the cloud
          - Security (using and/or within the *BSDs)
               - encryption / privacy / anonymity
               - for 'normal' people / everyday routines
               - for the cloud
          - What's on top of what's on top of the kernel?
               - User-land tools
               - Using those user-land tools
               - "Why *BSD isn't dead, Okan." ;)
Establish a naming convention for the biannual format we are moving into.
- prior to official Announcements about the event

Other:
     Operations & Assignments:
          Organizing: Bill T
          Venue/Facilities: Ike L
          Sponsors: George R
          Video: Patrick Mc
          Registration: Okan D
          Web: Okan D (+ anyone with CVS access to fulton)
          Announcements/Communication/Marketing: John R
          Speakers: Bill T
               Travel
               (Accommodations – how is this usually handled?)

Extras:
     Speaker Mentoring
          - This is a means of looking forward to the next Con
          - It pairs up a current speaker with a future speaker

Whatsoever you're helping with, remember to delegate as needed.

If you jump into another task, be sure to inquire about what remains to be
done lest you repeat completed work.

Check out the Action Items below, please jump in - let's make this a great
Con and establish a good pattern for those that follow.

---
Immediate Action Items for the Week of 9/15:
* Discuss/Decide the Con's Topic
  - I say we set this due date to 9/30
    - that will give us two full weeks to discuss
    - thoughts?
* Is there a Go/No-Go Date for the Con?
  - If, 'Yes', what tasks is that dependent on?
* Add to/Correct/Edit the Outline above
* BSDTV has been approached by BSDNow for an interview – they are interested
in getting one of us, yes, a face, on there – any volunteers?
* BSDTV will be releasing video soon = promo material
  - I will find out the date(s) for that

-bt