[NYCBSDCon] For future NYCBSDCons

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Feb 11 10:23:06 EST 2014

Justin Sherrill:
> I have a long, long list of ideas and suggestions and things from NYCBSDCon
> 2014.  I figured I'd put some of them in this email so that I could cross
> them off:

Shoot away JS.  We were going to have a local meeting to debrief on the
con, but schedules are matching up.

If this list can be the forum for it, then great.

> - A possible future theme for something like this could be "What BSD saved
> me", as in what were people able to build themselves instead of having to
> purchase as an expensive canned product from a vendor.

Right. . . so to me the scope of this covers the network perimeter, zfs,
etc.

> - I liked the 'pick any two' strategy for the stickers.  It would be neat
> to have logos for the various BSD projects added into the sticker pile, so
> that people could pay a fee and pick up several different items.  This is
> assuming NYCBUG got the OK to use those images, which seems likely.

Yeah, we were *trying* to keep things simple.  We could probably get the
ok for the logos, that wouldn't be an issue.  But then our print order
gets complex.

> - It would be neat to get some speakers that were about tools that weren't
> necessarily using BSD, but were responsible for tools that happened to also
> run on BSD. We'd gain some diversity in speakers, plus maybe open the eyes
> of some developers that hadn't a reason to think beyond Linux.

Right, "you mean i can run nagios/amp/whatever on BSDs?"  Pretty normal
course of discussion for a lot of us.