[NYCBSDCon] NYCBSDCon: a quick summary

Allan Jude freebsd at allanjude.com
Tue Feb 11 23:05:17 EST 2014

On 2014-02-11 22:40, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 06:20:34PM -0500, George Rosamond wrote:
>> An upcoming thread, before this list hibernates, is what the 'theme'
>> should be for the next day con. . .
>
> "The BSD Platform"
>
> Considerations for using BSD for:
>
> voip (asterisk/freeswitch)
> web (apache or nginx)
> email
> database
> embedded
>
> Contact a known BSD guru who can speak on each -- for example, you
> should get Mr. Jude to talk about FreeBSD as a heavy lifting web
> server. Choose the speakers you want, then request proposals for
> what's left. Involve Dru in hunting speakers; she knows everybody and
> where they've hidden the bodies. ("What's that thump-thump-thump?"
> "Oh, that's just the bus galumphing over Ms. Lavigne from when she got
> thrown under it, no worries.")
>
> For a final talk, get someone who can give a more generic tale that
> involves BSD. If you knew someone who, say, ran the network for,
> hpypothetically, a salt mine and had all kinds of good horror stories
> about computing in such a ghastly environment, that would be good.
>
> And have an afternoon snack. With caffeine. You bastards.
>
> ==ml

Yes, I second another round of pastries in the afternoon. The cake was
delightful.

"The UNIX way"

Tales of how large problems were solved with a bunch of small tools

epic one-liners that solve big problems

Daichi Goto gave an interesting presentation on it at BSDCan 2013, how
giant Japanese CRMs are all written in shell script using sed/awk and
friends, plus a few custom little tools.

Processes 10 million rows of data in 90 seconds, to hadoops 20 minutes.

--
Allan Jude