[Semibug] OpenBSD To depreciate soft updates

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Thu Jul 6 18:35:10 EDT 2023

On Thu, Jul 6, 2023, at 08:27, Kyle Willett wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Hope everyone is well.  So I'm part of this group on Facebook called
> OpenBSD newbies ran by the same Peter Hansteen that did that wonderful
> talk earlier in the year or last year I can't remember and he shared
> this link: https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article;sid=20230706044554
>
> Basically in order to make FFS/UFS faster they have to remove soft
> updates.  Doesn't look like any user facing changes are made since
> they made that mount option in fstab just a no op so it does nothing
> in -CURRENT.

I have always used soft updates in my fstab. I thought it made writes faster.
According to the man page (man -s 8 mount):
softdep
   (FFS only) Mount the file system using soft dependencies. Instead of
metadata being written immediately, it is written in an ordered fashion
to keep the on-disk state of the file system consistent. This results in
 significant speedups for file create/delete operations.