[Semibug] Install webstore on OpenBSD Server

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Wed Jul 26 18:59:57 EDT 2023

On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 05:18:58PM -0400, Alejandro Lorenzo wrote:

> > Don't forget domain purchase, DNS entries, LetsEncrypt, port forwarding at the router, etc.  All relatively easy.
> >

> Also a backup strategy :)
>
> Good luck

Thanks Alejandro:

 That is something I have neglected. I do not have a backup solution
for my webstore. The reason requires some elaboration.

1) I use Shoify. Shopify's web stores are needlessly overcomplicated.
Shopify has cluttered their stores with all sorts of tools that allow
for drop shipping, Multi Level Marketing and to keep track of
inventory across multiple storefronts. Needless to say backing all
that up is expensive. Remember you are charged per backup. Besides I
have no idea what is being backed up. I am quite sure they do not use
Dump and Restore.  Dump and restore is the time proven way to do
backups.

2) The backups are kind of useless as every six months Shopify changes
the way data is organized. I have product instance that I can no
longer clone in my store bbecause Shopify has changed the way
inventoey is accessed. This by the way is the reason I want to run my
own web store. I don't care for pointless changes that diminish
usability.

3) The whole Hypervisor/Virtual Machine cincept is just crazy. The
Hypervisor consumes something like 8% of CPU power to run a menagerire
of operating systems. It sounds like a sys admins nightmare. How is
that better than having a single FreeBSD or OpenBSD computer with
multiple user accounts? That is where your backup will go; to some
machine running a hypervisor.

4) I don't trust the security of Virtual Machine systems. It's needless
complexity. It is something devised by the Linux people. The moto of
Linux should be:
  "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"
I urge you to read Ted Unangst "Features are Faults"
https://flak.tedunangst.com/post/features-are-faults

So to conclude the backups are expensive, of dubious reliablity and
difficut to do.