[Semibug] Install webstore on OpenBSD Server

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Fri Jul 28 03:07:17 EDT 2023

CAREY SCHUG wrote on 2023-07-27 21:11:

>> They seem conceptually quite similar and you haven't refuted that.
>
> A horse buggy is conceptually quite similar to a porshe, but cannot
> substitute for one. No need to refute similarity.

That's just ridiculous. At least compare mechanized modes of
transportation - anything else is arguing in bad faith.

Are mainframe-based virtual machines also "artificial complexity" as the
OP stated?

 > 3) The whole Hypervisor/Virtual Machine cincept is just crazy.

Yes or no, the answer is the same for Linux based VMs.

>>> x86 is not 100% vitualizable.  The host has to know what you are
>>> running to fake some stuff out.
>>
>> Irrelevant implementation details.
 >
> Absolutely not.

For most of the world, absolutely yes.

> I want to run operating systems that nobody has
> built the information for x86 virtualization to be able to
> virtualize.  I don't just want to run multiple copies of the latest
> ubuntu.  I want to run ALL DIFFERENT guests to try them out
Good for you and bless your heart.

So acquire access to a mainframe and run whatever guests you want,
what's the problem?

Meanwhile, Linux VMs run countless systems, probably millions, and they
do the job better than the alternatives of bare metal or mainframes.

And there's Docker for those wanting more lightweight containers.

Meanwhile, the purists who require "run anything in VM or the VM sucks"
can continue to host their stuff on mainframes, clearly a popular option.

"Perfect is the enemy of good" comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good