[nycbug-talk] The truth about Cat6

Isaac Levy ike
Tue Apr 20 10:11:41 EDT 2004

Hey all,

Had a quick question for all the networking hardcores on this wire-
I'm gonna be running some ethernet around my home office and am
wondering if the double price of Cat6 is worthwhile, seeing as all the
cheap gigabit switches out there state they'll work aok with Cat5
etc...

Context: I'm a web app developer and have lots of dev servers floating
in and out of here, gigabit nics in most things I touch- and now I have
a need to run ethernet in here, and don't want to make a dumb choice if
Cat6 really is important.. (I don't wanna replace cables in 2 yrs...)

Anybody have any good opinion or experience?

Rocket-
.ike